REPRODIVAC - Next-generation vaccines and diagnostics to prevent livestock reproductive diseases of worldwide impact
Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development
ENEA is the Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development. It is the second major Italian research organization, with around 2700 staff employees distributed in its 9 research centers all over the national territory.
The Laboratory activities are focused on research, development and technology transfer in the field of advanced biotechnologies mainly oriented to the enhancement, sustainability and competitiveness of agro-food production (green biotech) and pharma- ceutical sector (red biotech), exploring the potential of nanotechnology (nano-biotechnology).
Research projects are developed through specialized expertise and advanced technologies in Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology, “Omics” Sciences.
The Laboratory carries on research projects in the field of:
- Engineering of the plant cell for the production of high-added value molecules, such as biopharmaceuticals (antibodies, vaccines, enzymes and other molecules to be exploited in the nano-biotechnology sector) and bioactive molecules (small molecules) such as carotenoids and anthocyanins.
- Flow-cytometry as a powerful tool in genomic and medical diagnostics research. In particular, for the separation and identi- fication of chromosomes through specific tracking of single chromosomes in complex genomes.
- Plant cell and tissue culture, to obtain natural bioreactors for the production of high-added value molecules while imple- menting technologies to safeguard and enhance high-value plant germplasm.
- Molecular plant virology, integrating molecular and genomic approaches to devise plant genotypes endowed with durable resistance.
- Novel cultivation methods
according to 'Good Agricultural Practice' for the production of high quality edible plants in containment greenhouses or structures specifically designed for farming in extreme environments.
Platforms & facilities
Multiple cutting-edge platforms of molecular biology, biochemistry, plant and animal cell biology support ongoing projects. Notably, fully equipped platforms of NGS (next generation sequencing), metabolomics and proteomics. “Omics” sciences are assisted by high performance computing platforms of bioinformatics in a 'system biology' approach, simulating metabolic networks or modelling macromolecules
A contained greenhouse (Biosafety Level 2 Containment) designed to be a complete and compact solution for growing novel plants expressing high value-added products (biopharmaceuticals/nutraceuticals) or endowed with new resistance traits, is available.